WebsiteGear Logo Log In
New User? Sign Up
About | Contact | FAQ
Home Discussion Forums Website Promotion Other Marketing
New Post New Post | Report Abuse Report Abuse

Running out of promotional options
Post by Bob on Mar 10, 2007 2:28:35 AM CST

Please excuse the long introduction but I feel it is necessary to give some background.

www.EditFast.com has over 1,300 registered freelance editors, proofreaders and writers. (Actually there have been over 15,000 registered but only 1,300 have passed the tests and survived the rigorous screening process).

Each member creates their own Profile Web page via a "Resume Builder" (contact information, education etc.) and a "Page Builder" (experience, software skills and availability, and a description of their skills and abilities as an editor, proofreader, or writer).

These profile pages are the pages I would like to have show up higher in the SE rankings. I provide some advice on meta keywords, meta description and the importance of relevancy so that each individual can choose their keywords, description, and write their Web page text to match the implication of their keywords and description, but without manipulating every page manually (which would be impossible), I find that these pages do not rank very high.

I also advise and implore the registered members to ask their acquaintances, friends, relatives etc. who own a Web site to add a link to their Web page to increase the number of inbound links, but again, without manually doing a promotion campaign for every individual (once again impossible for me), the results of my requests to get the members to acquire their own inbound links have not been spectacular.

I am wondering if there is anything else I can do by way of implementing an automatic process in the Profile creation stage that would improve the chances for each registered member's Web page on the SE results pages.

In addition, I spent a lot of time setting up a classified submissions section which would allow each member to submit to thousands of classified ad sites but after I set it up I realized that it might not be a good idea to have hundreds of people submitting links to classified ad sites all from the same site (EditFast.com) and would probably result in some negative reaction from the ad sites or from the SEs. I have not "activated" this process yet and may never do so.

I have also set up Google AdWords campaigns for "Editors in <CITY NAME>", "Editors in <STATE NAME>", "Editors in <COUNTRY NAME>" as well as "Proofreaders in <CITY NAME>", "Proofreaders in <STATE NAME>", "Proofreaders in <COUNTRY NAME>", but have not yet started these campaigns for the following reasons:

1) I have not discovered a way to allow direct contact between editors and clients without cutting EditFast out of the process and thereby losing a client and an editor at the same time as well as all future projects from that client. Thus, direct contact with my editors is not allowed. Contact is anonymous via the EditFast on-line message center. The problem is that potential clients who are searching for an editor in their area by using key phrases such as "Editors in Seattle" are most likely hoping to contact the individual directly or meet with the editor in person.

2) I have used AdWords campaigns in the past and discovered that they are not effective due to the competition and some unscrupulous people using up my AdWords budget with false clicks in a matter of days from the start of the campaign. (Luckily, Google has refunded my money (over $3000 US) but it took the infamous class action lawsuit and a wait of a couple years to get this money back.) Naturally I am leery of implementing another campaign.

The bottom line is that I am now at a loss as to how to promote the site in general as well as the editor profile pages any further. I have the cash, but don't know where the best (most effective) place to spend it might be!

Any ideas you have about this would be very helpful and appreciated very much.

Submit To Slashdot Slashdot | Submit To Digg.com Digg | Save in del.icio.us Del.icio.us | Submit To Reddit Reddit
REPLIES & COMMENTS Post a Reply
LATEST FORUM POSTINGS
Nav How to develop a Flxexible Web Design | Mar 5, 2013
Nav Website comments on updates / improvements please | Feb 28, 2013
Nav WebsiteGear Introduces Unlimited Web Survey Plan | Dec 4, 2012
Nav HTML TAGGING PROJECT CONVERSION 100% QUALITY | Nov 28, 2012
Nav Backup Your Files, Photos, Music online For Free | Nov 25, 2012
Nav 5 common link building mistakes | Aug 27, 2011
Nav How to convert psd into html? | Jan 15, 2011
Nav How to choose the right PHP Framework for web deve | Jan 12, 2011
FORUM SEARCH

FEATURED NEWS | POPULAR NEWS