WebsiteGear Logo Log In
New User? Sign Up
About | Contact | FAQ
Home Discussion Forums Web Hosting Domain Names & DNS
New Post New Post | Report Abuse Report Abuse

Redirect Domain to new subsite
Post by CorumMc on Jun 4, 2007 9:48:02 AM CST

My apologies if this is a dumb question:

We have 20 location sites on their own domains (with their own ip) and a parent site for our company. We are in the process of moving their content to a leg within the parent site and I need to have the locations' domains redirect to their new "home page" in the path under the parent site for at least a year.

I can redirect a page easily enough. But is there a way to redirect every request coming into that domain? I'd rather not have to put the redirect code into each of the 15 or so pages on the 20 sites.

If it were possible to set something (I thought the DNS a likely possibility) to either point directly to the desired page under the parent site or to a single redirect page within the location's site, it would be much easier to maintain.

I'd appreciate any help or advice. Thanks!

Submit To Slashdot Slashdot | Submit To Digg.com Digg | Save in del.icio.us Del.icio.us | Submit To Reddit Reddit
REPLIES & COMMENTS Post a Reply
Comment by admin on Jun 5, 2007 10:01:14 AM CST Report Abuse
From what I understand, you want to redirect each domain to a sub-directory of the parent site. Not knowing whether you have control over your web server, and what type of webserver you use, it can be easily done using the host header configurations. Configure each domain name on your web server to listen on port 80 for the individual host header, and the document root pointing to the sub directory you want it to point to.

You do not need individual IPs assigned unless these also require SSL support. So in DNS records for these domains, all can point to the same IP address that the web server is listening on, or in your case, since you have too many IPs assigned, you can separate the DNS records to individual IP addresses.

Some clues of a similar configuration is available here (though it uses subdomains) - subdomain setup

Also for domain name config, see this - domain setup
LATEST FORUM POSTINGS
Nav How to develop a Flxexible Web Design | Mar 5, 2013
Nav Website comments on updates / improvements please | Feb 28, 2013
Nav WebsiteGear Introduces Unlimited Web Survey Plan | Dec 4, 2012
Nav HTML TAGGING PROJECT CONVERSION 100% QUALITY | Nov 28, 2012
Nav Backup Your Files, Photos, Music online For Free | Nov 25, 2012
Nav 5 common link building mistakes | Aug 27, 2011
Nav How to convert psd into html? | Jan 15, 2011
Nav How to choose the right PHP Framework for web deve | Jan 12, 2011
FORUM SEARCH

FEATURED NEWS | POPULAR NEWS