WebsiteGear Logo Log In
New User? Sign Up
About | Contact | FAQ
Home Discussion Forums Web Hosting Domain Names & DNS
New Post New Post | Report Abuse Report Abuse

Sub domain configuration for mail and MX record
Post by talksr on Dec 30, 2007 5:43:20 PM CST

Hello,

I have been following the useful subdomain config article on this site.
http://content.websitegear.com/article/subdomain_setup.htm

However I am a little stuck on what to do next, I know I can try things out, but this is a live domain I am working on, so I would rather just ask for help then wreck the dns on it.

At present, I have created a new and working sub-domain. mail.mydomain.com
I have added this to my host headers on exchange, so it shows up a page, so I know it is working.
My ISP has provided me with a pop3 mailbox. How can I make it so that when I send/receive an email, it goes to/from alias@mail.mydomain.com, as opposed to alias@mydomain.com?
What needs setting up in the DNS to do this?

I am a little confused because, my ISP gives me the pop3 mailbox, so if I need to create a new MX or CNAME record, then would I need to forward the address to their server? Also what priorities would I give it?
At present, I have one mx record with a pref/priority of 5 which is '@' and an address of ismtp.easyspace.everyone.net.

In my NS Records, it says:
@ is an alias for ns1.easypost.com.
@ is an alias for ns3.easypost.com.

Submit To Slashdot Slashdot | Submit To Digg.com Digg | Save in del.icio.us Del.icio.us | Submit To Reddit Reddit
REPLIES & COMMENTS Post a Reply
Comment by admin on Dec 31, 2007 9:37:17 AM CST Report Abuse
If you want alias@mail.yourdomain.com to work, then you have to create an MX record that would be tied to mail.yourdomain.com. Right now probably the MX record is setup for yourdomain.com and NOT mail.yourdomain.com. As mentioned in the article on our site, create a MX lookup for mail.yourdomain.com.

mail IN MX 10 ismtp.easyspace.everyone.net.

That should work, it will resolve to the SMTP server for everyone.net. Verify the config by a DNS lookup for MX record for mail.yourdomain.com.
---------------------
If that does not work, try rerouting with an explicit A or CNAME record on your DNS server. This is required also if you have a subdomain setup to check emails at http://mail.yourdomain.com.

mail IN MX 10 mail.yourdomain.com

Create the A or CNAME record DNS entry to point to the email server.

mail IN A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. (where xxx.xxx ... is the IP address of SMTP server)
OR
mail CNAME ismtp.easyspace.everyone.net.

Then when you lookup MX record for mail.yourdomain.com, it should resolve to the email server IP address. Try these and let us know if it does not work.
LATEST FORUM POSTINGS
Nav How to develop a Flxexible Web Design | Mar 5, 2013
Nav Website comments on updates / improvements please | Feb 28, 2013
Nav WebsiteGear Introduces Unlimited Web Survey Plan | Dec 4, 2012
Nav HTML TAGGING PROJECT CONVERSION 100% QUALITY | Nov 28, 2012
Nav Backup Your Files, Photos, Music online For Free | Nov 25, 2012
Nav 5 common link building mistakes | Aug 27, 2011
Nav How to convert psd into html? | Jan 15, 2011
Nav How to choose the right PHP Framework for web deve | Jan 12, 2011
FORUM SEARCH

FEATURED NEWS | POPULAR NEWS
Submit News | View More News View More News