WebsiteGear Logo Log In
New User? Sign Up
About | Contact | FAQ
Home Discussion Forums Website Development Website Design
New Post New Post | Report Abuse Report Abuse

What are H1, H2 & so on in web design?
Post by Jordansmith on Feb 11, 2009 8:28:43 AM CST

Sorry for the stupid question, but I notice that we talk about a lot about the importance of have the right words or title in H1 or H2. What exactly does this mean what is the relevance of it? I’m trying to build my own web site but don’t have much experience in the field.

Submit To Slashdot Slashdot | Submit To Digg.com Digg | Save in del.icio.us Del.icio.us | Submit To Reddit Reddit
REPLIES & COMMENTS Post a Reply
Comment by indi on Feb 11, 2009 11:11:37 AM CST Report Abuse
H1, H2 are HTML tags that denote the font for headings in the html page.

e.g. <h1>My page heading</h1>

H1 for example displays bigger text than H2, H2 is bigger than H3. The concept of setting correct texts in H1, H2 often is related to setting the headings in your html page with some of your main keywords in them so that would describe that page.

Often search engines like Google, Yahoo, Microsoft look for the texts in these H1 and H2 when they index your website pages. Your webpage relevance is decided based on these texts within the <h1>, <h2> tags. Also set the <title> tags on the html header with keywords.
Comment by brandon111 on Feb 26, 2009 3:42:47 AM CST Report Abuse
For More Details Please Visit Me Here
http://www.mastersmindtechnologies.com/smartcollection
Comment by sarannan on May 15, 2009 10:36:03 PM CST Report Abuse
Web design is the skill of designing presentations of content that is delivered to an end-user through the World Wide Web, by way of a Web browser or other Web-enabled software like Internet television clients, microblogging clients and RSS readers.
Comment by AustinDarius on Jul 9, 2009 1:36:28 AM CST Report Abuse
I know that H1 stands for the page title, H2 for the subtitle, and so on...

But what I do not get is what to do with that knowledge. I mean... are H1 and so on to be mentioned in the HTML coding?
Or are these just names used for better understanding?

Atlanta Web Development
Comment by ashiyanayoga on Aug 13, 2009 12:11:08 AM CST Report Abuse
Thanks for the support .

Ashu
Yoga Retreat
Comment by David261 on Aug 24, 2009 2:57:32 AM CST Report Abuse
H1, H2 & so on tags are very useful for website ranking, good designer always use H1 tags for website to make search engine friendly.
Comment by jamesmary009 on Aug 24, 2009 12:30:51 PM CST Report Abuse
Hi..The H1,H2,H3 are the header tags in HTML.The main purpose of header tags to get user alerts for text in different headings like headings in books.really the header tags will make a considerable difference between the text with different header tags.To understand clearly about this header tags please do following.
-->Open a note pad -->put the following code
<html>
<head></head>
<body>
<h1>Welcome to the web site</h1>
<h2>Welcome to the web site</h2>
<h3>Welcome to the web site</h3>
<h4>Welcome to the web site</h4>
</body></html>

save the note pad with .htm or .html extension.
Open this file in any web browser then it will displays the text with different headings.then you will notice the importance of header tags..Thank you..
Comment by jamesmary009 on Aug 27, 2009 1:00:58 PM CST Report Abuse
Hello every one..

Headlines or Headings are pretty practical and are adapted extensively in HTML based documents and web pages. We have associated HEADLINES with newspapers but believe it or not they can be seen in web pages too. There are a total of six heading tags ranging from H1 to H6. H1 produces the largest form of text and H6 produces the smallest. These are important tags yet they need to be used very independently of similar HTML commands. In other words they do not play well with others
Comment by Liton01 on Aug 29, 2009 10:20:29 AM CST Report Abuse
Sorry for the stupid question, but I notice that we talk about a lot about the importance of
have the right words or title in H1 or H2. What exactly does this mean what is the relevance of it? I’m trying to build my own web site but don’t have much experience in the field.[url=http://productreviewsby.me/resveratrol/] Resveratrol " rel="nofollow" target="_blank">
Comment by jamesmary009 on Sep 2, 2009 12:37:01 PM CST Report Abuse
Headers are as important as the title tag that is located next to the meta tags before the body of the HTML code, but header tags are located within the body of your HTML code.
If your pages are not Search Engine Optimized (SEO) then there are probably no header tags on them. However, don’t worry about that, just look at your HTML and chose the phrases or the lines of text that you want to convert to headers and then put these tags:
Comment by soumali on Sep 20, 2009 1:02:35 AM CST Report Abuse
is H1 the biggest heading tag?

Web Site Promotions
Comment by dgdsa on Oct 15, 2009 5:01:11 AM CST Report Abuse
as said by one of our co-participant, as per seo is concerned, the text within header tags matters a lot in ranking higher in search engines
Nav Website comments on updates / improvements please | Feb 28, 2013
Nav WebsiteGear Introduces Unlimited Web Survey Plan | Dec 4, 2012
Nav HTML TAGGING PROJECT CONVERSION 100% QUALITY | Nov 28, 2012
Nav Backup Your Files, Photos, Music online For Free | Nov 25, 2012
Nav 5 common link building mistakes | Aug 27, 2011
Nav How to convert psd into html? | Jan 15, 2011
Nav How to choose the right PHP Framework for web deve | Jan 12, 2011
FORUM SEARCH

FEATURED NEWS | POPULAR NEWS
Submit News | View More News View More News